Monday, November 15, 2010

Lucky Dinosaur T-Shirt Time

Although it's not as catchy as Pauly D yelling "t-shirt time!" all over creation, I am a strong believer of my lucky dinosaur t-shirt. Some people have a lucky rabbit's foot or, I shudder to think, a lucky condom wasting away in a wallet until "the right time". Sadly, by that time, it's no longer a lucky condom. I on the other hand, have a lucky dinosaur t-shirt.

Now why in the world would I choose a dinosaur shirt as my lucky object? My saving grace when I have two tests on the same day and am unprepared for either; simple. It's awesome. My dino shirt is like Calvin's lucky red rocket-ship underwear. I put it on in the morning and I feel like I'm going to take the world and put it on its head; that is until I forget my morning tea at home and get splashed with the dirty puddle water some dickwad drove through. Before all that shit went down, I at least had a glimmer of hope.

So you may be asking, "Are you one of those people who doesn't wash their lucky clothes?"

Ew, do people really not wash their clothes?! Of course I wash it, the luck ain't going anywhere and I certainly don't want the dirt/stank to stay. I gotta keep that baby fresh for as long as possible. I don't want to be emitting some nasty funk when I'm supposed to be ready to take on anything. Emission of funk is to be reserved for my finest days. Days where I usually prepare by rolling out of bed with two hours of sleep and ten minutes after class has started. I attempt to run a brush through my matted hair and it just ends up getting swallowed; throw whatever clothes on the floor have the least order, and finish with a quick rinse with the mouth wash.

I hate those days, mainly because that's going to be the time where some undercover prince bumps into me in the hallway and instead of saying, "Hey, awesome dino shirt!" and whisking me away to some far off land, he politely tries not to scream in terror and disgust then runs off. Then, just to really rub it in, he falls in love with the girl who chews gum too loud in class.

Why I chose a t-shirt instead of something I could carry around every day is easy to understand if I think about it. For starters, I hate relying on luck. You can either do something or you can't, it's statistics. But after losing a prince to chompers, a girl needs a boost. Secondly, my shirt is hilarious to me even though I got it from Threadless tees and a million other people probably own it too. Thirdly, one of my earlier memories is going with my grandparents to a museum that had a dinosaur exhibit. I got to dig in a sandbox and uncover "real" bones and marvel at the T-Rex the staircase revolved around. I was 5 and everything in the world held a little bit of magic.

Now, I'm 20 and world seems a little less magical. Santa, the tooth fairy, and the Easter Bunny: all my parents in an effort to preserve childhood innocence. I thank them for trying because it reminds me that although magic may not exist, we can try to make our own. I realize that some of you have stopped reading in order to vomit from sentimental talk overload and that's ok. I'll probably do the same when I re-read this later.

Basically, we all need something to give us that little glimmer of hope. Some folks have pre-game rituals, charms, or prayer. I have a lucky dinosaur t-shirt and for me that's enough.

Pins 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment