Monday, November 22, 2010

Guess I’m Just an Old Fart



Despite the fact that I’m part of a younger generation that is supposed to be all up on this social networking stuff, I’m not. Toss me a gaming system or a new blu-ray player and I can have that baby set up while my father is still trying to get the instruction manual out of the plastic wrap. But mention Twitter to me and I’m just as lost as my 94-year-old great grandmother trying to figure out the tv remote.

I’m going to be the first to admit I do not understand Twitter, or twittering or tweets, whatever they are called. I’m a Facebook kinda girl, even though I basically use it to make sure my family is still alive since I frequently forget to call home.

People are tweeting from space and I’m too afraid to even sign up! It’s really too scary for my taste. I’m an old fart and don’t really like change. It’s upsetting enough when they change the layout on my Facebook.

From what I understand of this Twitter thingamajig, you write down random thoughts for all your friends to see. Then celebrities have their own comments and you can “follow” them.

Now hold on a second! So Twitter allows you into the minds of celebrities…isn’t that just encouraging stalking behaviour? Is that what Twitter is?! A stalker in training guide? Alright, so maybe not.

If you want to make a comment regarding someone, you use an “@” symbol. That seems silly because it immediately makes me think of the mad face on MSN, and I wouldn’t want my friends thinking I’m mad at them.

Apparently this website is REALLY popular, but isn’t it letting us share a little too much information? I believe that is my number one issue with Twitter; that one day I would read one and just scream “TMI!TMI!” Below, I have made up an example of my worst Twitter fear:

Day 1

“Yeah! I got a Twitter account!  <3”

Day 3

“Snooze fest in class today :(”

Day 45

“Just woke up”
“Having some breaky!!!~!~1”
“Should I wear purple or red today?”
“CLLLLLLAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS”
“@ponyprincess OMG, you should meet me for lunch”
“people should mind their own business >:@”
“ewwww homework.”

Day 61

“Just took a huge dump after having Mexican last night. Should it be that chunky?”


Personally, I don’t want to know about someone taking a dump! That is far too much information. I have mixed feelings about twitter. I’m connected enough to my phone as it is with texting and checking Facebook, I can’t imagine hanging off every word that Miley Cyrus happens to tweet out concerning her everyday life.

Oh, and if there actually is a ponyprincess on twitter, it’s a coincidence and I don’t mean to offend.

Pins

              This is basically how I feel when looking at the Twitter screen. Afraid.


No comments:

Post a Comment